Volcanoes are some of the world’s most fascinating and beautiful natural wonders. Many have become vacation destinations rather than just stops along the way. Consider these seven volcanoes for your travel bucket list.
1. Located in Iceland is the cone-shaped Maelifell Volcano. The surface is covered in moss, and it is surround by hot springs and the Myrdalsjökull Glacier Park.
2. Venture to the Etna Volcano in Sicily, Italy for a mythical experience. It’s Europe’s tallest volcano at 10,922 feet and is still active.
3. Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania is the ideal volcano to visit if you enjoy climbing. It’s Africa’s highest mountain, and there are a number of routes you can take.
4. Japan’s active Mount Fuji also has a variety of routes that will take you to the peak. It’s easy to climb, and there are additional activities like paragliding.
5. The Poas Volcano in Costa Rica is comprised of a main crater with a sulfuric pool. The last eruption occurred in 1910, and geysers can still be seen shooting up. Vegetation and lake surround the crater.
6. Travel to the Mauna Loa Volcano in Hawaii if you’re hoping to see the largest volcano on Earth. The whole island is composed of volcanoes and smaller eruptions still occur from time to time.
7. The Popocatépetl Volcano in Mexico is one with historical significance. It’s considered an UNESCO world heritage site because of the monasteries that monks built on the slopes in the 16th century.